Take steps to protect your home
Did you know that burglaries typically go up by 25% in the winter months (due to the longer evenings)? This has prompted Gardaí to warn house-holders to take steps to protect their homes.
- Most winter burglaries take place between 5pm and 11pm
- The main points of entry are the front door (29%), a rear window (26%) or a rear door (22%)
- 20% of burglaries take place through an unsecured door or window
- Locking windows and doors - ideally with tamper proof locks
- Light up your house - use timers if you’re out and have an outside lamp tied to a motion sensor
Reducing burglaries is a major priority for the Gardaí and a number of operations are currently in place nationally and locally to combat this issues.